Sunday, July 05, 2015

The Greek referendum of June 5th 2015 A day that will live in infamy !!

A sad day indeed … 

At least for me.. I did not expect pride to prevail.  I did not expect that my countrymen are so ill-informed.  We are great to note our rights but yet,  again and again, we display our inability to meet our responsibilities.  We speak of democracy yet we are so immature when it comes to its application.  We take everything thrown to us without questioning.  We are impulsive as a child when someone takes its toy away.   We lack the basis of what makes a society democratic – that is not participating in the process.  After all nearly 61% of the electorate participated in this shenanigans of a process.  It is participating having knowledge of what casting our vote means and realizing the ramification of our actions for us and those around us.  It was the educated citizen that was the backbone of the Athenian City State not the ignorant, not the ill-informed.  Desperation and anguish prevailed – neither good consorts in a time of crisis.  We sought out responsibility and accountability.   We found it in the ‘institutions’.  We should have started closer to home – maybe even ourselves.   We point the finger to the EU and our partners yet, we fail to see our faults and shortcomings.  Logic was absent.  Without knowing what is installed for us the day after (neither platforms took the responsibility to inform the voters what each position really meant for the day after) we offered them absolution from their responsibilities and mistakes. From this moment on we may not accuse the politicians of messing things up and the possible Armageddon that might follow.  We and only we are responsible of what is to follow.  I am a European Citizen and I will remain one.  I place my trust in the Institutions of the Union and will hold accountable all my countrymen for their choices – I expect they will do the same of me.   

Tomorrow is a new day.   There is a lot of work to be done .. It is time to put our money where our mouth is … 

In closing, Your excellency.. Shape up and take your job and your responsibilities seriously.  I for one had enough of your, and your Cabinet’s, unprofessionalism and childish behavior.   Do not make the mistake of assuming that the ’No’ return is a tacit approval of your poor negotiation record.  It is simply a rejection of the proposal before us (at least as that has been presented through the ever so objective Greek mass media and eloquent panel participants).  Let me remind you that your mandate as passed down by the January elections based on YOUR electoral declarations is non other than the achievement of a viable solution within the EU and the Eurozone.   I expect you to deliver nothing less than that!!  It might not be a bad idea to remind your party coalition partners and your junior government coalition partners of that.

No comments: